A fungal nail infection occurs when a fungus attacks a fingernail, a toenail, or the skin under the nail. Small cuts in the skin around your nail or through the opening between your nail and the nail bed can provide an opportunity for the fungi to attack. Typically, if you are healthy then a fungal nail infection may not cause any serious problems. However, in individuals with conditions such as diabetes or weak immune system, it can lead to more serious problems.
Fungi grow best in warm and moist places. You can get a fungal nail infection from places such as public showers, public pools, and sharing personal items such as towels or nail clippers.
What are the symptoms of a fungal nail infection?
Your symptoms will depend on the type of infection you have.
- If the fungal infection affects both the nail and the skin underneath the nail, symptoms may include:
- Yellow streaks in the nail bed and on the underside of the nail
- Discolored and thickened nail that may separate from the nail bed
- Brittle, broken, and thickened nail
- Buildup of bits and pieces of skin and nail fragments under the nail
- If the fungal infection affects the nail surface only, symptoms may include:
- White spots or streaks on the nail surface
- Soft and powdery nail surface
- Damaged, crumbly, and brown/gray nail surface
When should I seek medical care for a fungal nail infection?
A fungal nail infection is not usually painful, but without proper treatment, it can become uncomfortable overtime and can even be painful to wear shoes, walk, or stand for a long time.
Seek immediate medical care if you notice:
- Increased pain, swelling, redness, tenderness, or heat
- Red streaks extending from the area
- Discharge of pus
- Fever of 100 degrees Fahrenheit or higher without any other cause
- The fungal infection appears to be spreading to the skin under the nail or the surrounding skin
- The infected area is painful
Call 888-719-8448 or walk into your nearest Healthpointe location to receive prompt medical attention if you develop a fungal nail infection and are experiencing any severe symptoms.
Healthpointe is a leading multidisciplinary healthcare organization offering a full range of medical services in practice locations throughout Southern California (Los Angeles county, Orange county, San Bernardino county and Riverside county). Healthpointe has locations situated in over 10 cities in Southern California including Temecula, which is conveniently located near Murrieta, Fallbrook, Wildomar, Canyon Lake, and Sun City. As a highly regarded musculoskeletal group, we have a personal investment in the highest level of service, and we are proud of our record of excellence over the last four decades with private patients, injured workers, urgent care, personal injuries, and professional and non-professional athletes. Leading our organization is a dynamic team of healthcare professionals who continually strive to be at the forefront of medical innovation and healthcare service delivery. For more information, a complete list of services, and Healthpointe locations, visit https://www.healthpointe.net/.