What is Cervical Spinal Fusion?
Cervical spinal fusion is a surgical procedure that permanently joins two or more vertebrae to form a single structure. It is performed to treat more common spinal conditions, such as spinal deformity, degenerative disc disease, and trauma to the spine.
Its purpose is to eliminate any movement between the two bones in the neck area, preventing pain. This restricts the patient from stretching the adjacent nerves, muscles, and ligaments, which were causing the discomfort.
This procedure is comprised of techniques that are meant to mimic the natural healing process of a fracture by using bone grafts either from the patient’s bone, or from a bone bank.
Cervical spinal fusion is generally treated as a last resort for patients with back pain only when conservative treatment, such as the use of medication, physical therapy, and other forms of non-surgical treatment have already been implemented without bearing results.
How a Cervical Spinal Fusion is Performed
Before performing the procedure, x-ray images are used to determine whether to approach the spine from the anterior aspect of the patient, posterior, or through a combination of both. These approaches decide which type of fusion will be done, though the anterior approach is more common for the cervical spine. This is also how the surgeon determines which instruments will be the most efficient and accommodating to use.
Fusion may or may not entail the use of plates, screws, and cages, among other implants.
Cervical Spinal Fusion in Orange County, San Bernardino County, Riverside County and Los Angeles County:
- Cervical Spinal Fusion in and near Anaheim
- Cervical Spinal Fusion in and near Colton
- Cervical Spinal Fusion in and near Corona
- Cervical Spinal Fusion in and near Garden Grove
- Cervical Spinal Fusion in and near Irwindale
- Cervical Spinal Fusion in and near La Mirada
- Cervical Spinal Fusion in and near Long Beach
- Cervical Spinal Fusion in and near Los Angeles
- Cervical Spinal Fusion in and near Ontario
- Cervical Spinal Fusion in and near Perris
- Cervical Spinal Fusion in and near Temecula
Contact Healthpointe Today!
Healthpointe offers comprehensive evaluations and treatments for all your neurosurgical, spine and related needs. To talk to one of our doctors, please schedule an appointment today!