How to lift is a question that is frequently asked when lifting heavy objects. Yet, there are certain times when we are asked to lift heavy objects at our employment. In order to avoid back injuries, make sure you are lifting using proper techniques. The first and most important rule is to analyze the object. Ask yourself whether this is something that will require an assistive device, or something you can physically carry.
Please follow the rules below when lifting to avoid work place injuries :
- Remember not to lift by bending forward, and to place your feet shoulder width apart (squat style).
- Bend your hips and knee only to a squat position, as you go down to your load; remember that you may put one knee on the floor, while the other is up in front.
- Make sure to face forward and keep your back straight, chest out and shoulders back, thus allowing a slight arch in your lower back.
- Now you may slowly rise, keep the load close to your body, and straighten your legs as you move up to the lifting position. As you begin to move, make sure to take small steps and lead with your hips.
- Remember that setting objects down is crucial; therefore, carefully place your load down, squatting the knees and hips only.
Avoid turning or twisting your body while lifting heavy objects and/or holding heavy objects above the shoulder level. Remember that the most common mistake is using the back to lift. Using the back can lead to a back injury. That is why it is imperative that you follow the proper techniques listed above to avoid injuries. Also, remember: good posture is key!
For more information, call 888-719-8448.
Healthpointe is a leading multidisciplinary healthcare organization offering a full range of medical services in practice locations throughout Southern California (Los Angeles County, Orange County, San Bernardino County, and Riverside County). Healthpointe has locations situated in over 10 cities in Southern California including La Mirada by Whittier, La Habra, Norwalk, Cerritos, Buena Park, and Santa Fe Springs. As a highly regarded musculoskeletal group, we have a personal investment in the highest level of service, and we are proud of our record of excellence over the last four decades with private patients, injured workers, urgent care, personal injuries, and professional and non-professional athletes. Leading our organization is a dynamic team of healthcare professionals who continually strive to be at the forefront of medical innovation and healthcare service delivery. For more information, a complete list of services, and Healthpointe locations, visit Healthpointe.net.