This condition is common yet painful and occurs when muscles/tendons in your elbow are overworked either by stress or repetitive motions of the wrist and arm. It usually affects the muscles and tendons of the forearm.
This condition affects men more than women and most often affects individuals between the age of 30 and 50. Ironically, less than 5% of all diagnoses are actually related to playing tennis. However, this condition may also affect other athletes.
The cause of this condition is due to repeated contraction of the muscles, such as straightening and raising hands and wrists repeatedly, especially while tightly gripping something. This repetitive action ultimately results in stress and a series of tiny tears in the tendons attached to the forearm muscle.
A possible cause can be found in tennis players who repeatedly perform backhand stroke with poor technique. Other common arm motions, which can lead to this condition include:
- Cleaning (Vacuuming, sweeping, scrubbing)
- Using Plumbing Tools
- Cooking (usually cutting meat and other ingredients
Symptoms may include:
- Radiating pain from the outside of your elbow into your forearm and wrist.
- Worsening pain when shaking hands or gripping/squeezing objects.
- Worsening pain when moving wrist with force (lifting, holding objects, opening jars, etc.)
Treatment options include physical therapy, bracing and medication. Applying ice may also be recommended by the doctor. Restrictions of daily living activities will also be recommended to prevent aggravation of pain from this condition.
In severe cases however, your doctor may require surgery.
Healthpointe has top-of-the-line physicians and specialists who are trained to provide treatment options for tennis elbow, and the associated symptoms. Come to Healthpointe.
Tennis Elbow Treatment in Orange County, San Bernardino County, Riverside County and Los Angeles County:
- Tennis Elbow Treatment in and near Anaheim
- Tennis Elbow Treatment in and near Colton
- Tennis Elbow Treatment in and near Corona
- Tennis Elbow Treatment in and near Garden Grove
- Tennis Elbow Treatment in and near Irwindale
- Tennis Elbow Treatment in and near La Mirada
- Tennis Elbow Treatment in and near Long Beach
- Tennis Elbow Treatment in and near Los Angeles
- Tennis Elbow Treatment in and near Ontario
- Tennis Elbow Treatment in and near Perris
- Tennis Elbow Treatment in and near Temecula
Contact Healthpointe Today!
HEALTHPOINTE offers comprehensive evaluations and treatments for all your orthopedic and related needs. To talk to one of our doctors, please schedule an appointment today!