Whether you are just learning the piano, or have been playing for years, follow these essential steps that will help prevent arthritis, carpal tunnel, and other causes of hand pain.
- When you first sit on the bench, place your hands over your knees, cupping them. Then, remove your hands from your knees, but keep the same form. This slightly cupped position will keep your fingers from stiffening and using only the knuckle joints.
- Sit up straight, with your elbows relaxed. Your movements across the keyboard should be fluid and not rigid.
- Take frequent breaks. Every 25-to-30 minutes, rest your hands for a couple minutes. If they are feeling particularly stiff, try stretching your fingers back toward your wrist.
- Eat tumeric. Well, not by itself (unless you want to? We won’t judge). Tumeric is widely known to be a superfood high in anti-inflammatory properties that reduce that risk for arthritis, stiffness, and pain.
- Keep a regular schedule. Whether it’s sleep, diet, or piano-playing, regularity is your body’s best friend. Not only will regular playing (a golden rule is 30 minutes a day) keep your fingers adapted to the stress of motion, but you won’t have to cram for a major performance by practicing 3 hours in a row (which can exponentially worsen your pain).
Healthpointe doctors provide health care – not just sick care! We are passionate about health, mindfulness, and prevention, and helping you achieve holistic wellbeing.
For more information about holistic medicine and the doctors at Healthpointe who can help you live your healthiest life, contact any of the Healthpointe clinics, such as the Anaheim clinic near Fullerton, Placentia, Villa Park, Buena Park, Cypress, Cerritos, and Garden Grove.
Healthpointe is a leading multidisciplinary healthcare organization offering a full range of medical services in practice locations throughout Southern California (Los Angeles County, Orange County, San Bernardino County, and Riverside County). Healthpointe has locations situated in over 10 cities in Southern California including La Mirada by Whittier, La Habra, Norwalk, Cerritos, Buena Park, and Santa Fe Springs. As a highly regarded musculoskeletal group, we have a personal investment in the highest level of service, and we are proud of our record of excellence over the last four decades with private patients, injured workers, urgent care, personal injuries, and professional and non-professional athletes. Leading our organization is a dynamic team of healthcare professionals who continually strive to be at the forefront of medical innovation and healthcare service delivery. For more information, a complete list of services, and Healthpointe locations, visit Healthpointe.net.
Last updated: August 18, 2017