While muscle spasms can be prevented via several methods, the better approach is to know the causes behind them.
- Chronic back problem. This is the case with a stress fracture on the back, which has developed scar tissues after healing, wherein the surrounding muscles are more likely to spasm during wrong movements.
- Muscle fatigue. This is the more common cause for muscle cramps among dancers because the muscles become overly fatigued from sustained vigorous exercises coupled with repetitive movements, both of which exert excessive stress on the muscles.
- The muscles go into spasm because of the lack of fluid to lubricate, so to speak, its cells.
In many cases, however, the causes of muscle cramps cannot be identified. While muscle cramps may be relatively harmless, those who experience one too many muscle cramps should consult with Healthpointe doctors. Keep in mind that muscle cramps can be a symptom of underlying medical conditions, such as:
- Nerve compression especially in the spine, known as lumbar stenosis, can result in cramp-like symptoms in your lower limbs. You will observe that the pain worsens when walking.
- Insufficient blood supply. Your arteries may be narrowing, thus, producing cramp-like pain in your lower limbs particularly your legs. The insufficient blood supply should start to normalize when you stop moving for a while.
- Mineral depletion. Calcium, magnesium and potassium are three of the most important minerals where proper muscle function is concerned. The use of diuretics can also deplete these minerals.
Fortunately, muscle cramps and spasms can be prevented and treated with a few simple measures.
- Always perform warm-up and cool-down exercises. Add gentle stretches for good measure.
- Drink plenty of water.
- Eat foods rich in magnesium, calcium and potassium.
You should then be able to reduce the incidence of severe muscle cramps and spasms waking you up from deep sleep.
Are you having too many severe muscle cramps? Call our Healthpointe professionals in any of our clinics, such as the Colton clinic by Rialto, Bloomington, San Bernardino, Loma Linda, Highgrove, and Grand Terrace.
Healthpointe is a leading multidisciplinary healthcare organization offering a full range of medical services in practice locations throughout Southern California (Los Angeles County, Orange County, San Bernardino County, and Riverside County). Healthpointe has locations situated in over 10 cities in Southern California including Colton by Rialto, Bloomington, San Bernardino, Loma Linda, Highgrove, and Grand Terrace. As a highly regarded musculoskeletal group, we have a personal investment in the highest level of service, and we are proud of our record of excellence over the last four decades with private patients, injured workers, urgent care, personal injuries, and professional and non-professional athletes. Leading our organization is a dynamic team of healthcare professionals who continually strive to be at the forefront of medical innovation and healthcare service delivery. For more information, a complete list of services, and Healthpointe locations, visit Healthpointe.net.