Whether you’ve been a gamer your whole life, or have just now discovered Candy Crush, you probably know that sitting for hours can lead to soreness. But did you know that repetitive sitting, day after day, can lead to irreversible back pain?
This can mean bad news for gamers. But it doesn’t have to! Here are 5 gaming tips that will get you moving, prevent back pain, and (hopefully) play better!
- Try video games that get you moving. We mean this in both the technical sense (Wii Sports, anyone?) and the “oh-my-gosh-this-game-is-so-intense-I-need-to-jump-out-of-my-seat!” sense. Whatever you do, don’t sit stiffly.
- Sit up straight. Slouching, straining, and hunching can all cause your back muscles to weaken over time. Not only will weak muscles make it harder for you body to recover from injury, but they also just look bad. So, sit up straight, like the (insert your favorite game character here) you are!
- Sayonara, sunken sofa! You know your favorite, sunken, soft spot on the couch, with the butt-impressions (from years of sitting there)? It may be comfy, but it’s terrible for your posture! So find a chair with a good back support (or, if you just can’t part with your sofa, try sitting with a lumbar cushion). Either way, make sure to pay attention to your posture – your back will thank you in the long run!
- Play in short bursts. Who says gamers aren’t similar to Olympic sprinters? Both are fiercely competitive, intensely focused, and play in short bursts! That is, you can play in short bursts, if you take our advice! Every 30 minutes or so, take a short stretching break. If you don’t want to do this because we told you to, then do it for the game! Moving increases oxygen levels to the brain, which can help make you more mentally alert. Wake up, and Game On!
- Play with friends. What are friends for, but to make us feel superior in our gaming worlds? Well, believe it or not, a few other things, such as companionship and encouragement, both of which can increase our levels of endorphins. So, if, after following these tips, you still experience back pain, play with friends – because the more endorphins we have, the less we focus on our pain.
Healthpointe doctors provide health care – not just sick care! We are passionate about health, mindfulness, and prevention, and helping you achieve holistic wellbeing.
For more information about orthopedics and the doctors at Healthpointe who can help you live your healthiest life, contact any of the Healthpointe clinics, such as the Anaheim clinic near Fullerton, Placentia, Villa Park, Buena Park, Cypress, Cerritos, and Garden Grove.
Healthpointe is a leading multidisciplinary healthcare organization offering a full range of medical services in practice locations throughout Southern California (Los Angeles County, Orange County, San Bernardino County, and Riverside County). Healthpointe has locations situated in over 10 cities in Southern California including La Mirada, which is conveniently located by Whittier, La Habra, Norwalk, Cerritos, Buena Park, and Santa Fe Springs. As a highly regarded musculoskeletal group, we have a personal investment in the highest level of service, and we are proud of our record of excellence over the last four decades with private patients, injured workers, personal injuries, and professional and non-professional athletes. Leading our organization is a dynamic team of healthcare professionals who continually strive to be at the forefront of medical innovation and healthcare service delivery. For more information, a complete list of services, and Healthpointe locations, visit Healthpointe.net.