While many people with an Achilles tendon rupture or tendinitis (Achilles tendinopathy) will think that stretching exercises will worsen their symptoms, this is not so. Studies have shown that a rehabilitation program consisting of gentle stretching exercises coupled with strengthening exercises, endurance activities, and agility training is highly beneficial.
The benefits come in two forms, namely, strengthening the tendon and helping it heal faster. Just be sure that the rehabilitation program is recommended by the physical therapist and doctor at any of our Healthpointe clinics (such as the La Mirada clinic near Whittier, La Habra, Norwalk, Cerritos, Buena Park, and Santa Fe Springs).
Your rehabilitation program will consist of the following stretching exercises, which should reduce the frequency, severity and duration of your Achilles tendon-related pain. Note: These stretching exercises are crucial in facilitating faster injury recovery and, thus, in preventing tendon shortening and its associated chronic pain.
- Toe stretch
- Sit on a standard chair. Extend your affected leg so that your heel touches the floor.
- Reach down with your hand, pull your big toe up and back.
- Hold for 15-30 seconds depending on your tolerance.
- Repeat 2-4 times for every session for up to 5 sessions in a day.
- Calf-plantar fascia stretch
- Sit on the floor. Extend your legs so that your knees are also straight.
- Loop a towel around the affected leg to be stretched. Ensure that the towel is placed just under your toes and around your foot.
- Hold the towel so that each end is placed in each hand. Check that your hands are placed above your knees.
- Slowly pull back with the towel, which will stretch your foot toward your direction.
- Hold for 15-30 seconds.
- Repeat 2-4 times for every session and 5 times every day.
- Calf stretch
- Brace your hands against a wall to maintain your balance.
- Step back with your right leg. Be sure to keep it as straight as possible.
- Press your right heel into the floor while pressing your hips forward. Your left leg should slightly bend. You should also feel a gentle yet firm stretch on your right calf.
- Hold for 15-30 seconds.
- Repeat 2-4 times for each leg.
Before doing these gentle stretching exercises, be sure to ask your doctor or physical therapist about the proper posture for each of these exercises.
Call any of our Healthpointe clinics (such as the Long Beach clinic near Signal Hill, Carson, Seal Beach, Lakewood, Bellflower, Compton, Hawaiian Gardens, and Los Alamitos) for more information on physical therapy for Achilles tendon rupture.
Healthpointe is a leading multidisciplinary healthcare organization offering a full range of medical services in practice locations throughout Southern California (Los Angeles County, Orange County, San Bernardino County, and Riverside County). Healthpointe has locations situated in over 10 cities in Southern California including La Mirada, which is conveniently located by Whittier, La Habra, Norwalk, Cerritos, Buena Park, and Santa Fe Springs. As a highly regarded musculoskeletal group, we have a personal investment in the highest level of service, and we are proud of our record of excellence over the last four decades with private patients, injured workers, urgent care, personal injuries, and professional and non-professional athletes. Leading our organization is a dynamic team of healthcare professionals who continually strive to be at the forefront of medical innovation and healthcare service delivery. For more information, a complete list of services, and Healthpointe locations, visit Healthpointe.net.