What is platelet-rich plasma?
Platelet-rich plasma (PRP) is a new and innovative treatment that is being used as regenerative medicine for common orthopedic conditions. Your blood contains mainly a liquid called plasma along with small solid components such as red cells, white cells, and platelets. The platelets are beneficial in terms of healing because it contains hundreds of proteins called growth factors. Growth factors are chemicals that signal to your body to initiate the healing process. By injecting the platelet-rich plasma into the areas of the injury, the goal is to stimulate and optimize the ability of your body to heal chronic orthopedic conditions.
What conditions are treated with platelet-rich plasma?
- PRP treatment has been used in operating rooms to help with wound healing, and to stimulate bone formation in spinal fusion surgery.
- Knee arthritis
- Some initial research has shown that PRP may be beneficial to treat knee arthritis.
- PRP can help to speed the healing of broken bones.
- Acute Ligament and Muscle Injuries
- PRP has been used to treat professional athletes with common sports injuries such as ligament and muscle injuries.
- Chronic Tendon Injuries
- PRP has been shown to be most effective in the treatment of chronic tendon injuries, such as tennis elbow, chronic Achilles tendonitis, or jumper’s knee.
Where can I go to get platelet-rich plasma treatment?
Healthpointe now offers a Regenerative Medicine program that is equipped with a multidisciplinary team of physicians and state-of-the art technology aimed at providing you with the best care possible. Our physicians can offer customized treatment plans to better fit your specific needs. Contact Healthpointe today to schedule an appointment and learn more about our Regenerative Medicine program.
Healthpointe is a leading multidisciplinary healthcare organization offering a full range of medical services in practice locations throughout Southern California (Los Angeles County, Orange County, San Bernardino County, and Riverside County). Healthpointe has locations situated in over 10 cities in Southern California including La Mirada by Whittier, La Habra, Norwalk, Cerritos, Buena Park, and Santa Fe Springs. As a highly regarded musculoskeletal group, we have a personal investment in the highest level of service, and we are proud of our record of excellence over the last four decades with private patients, injured workers, urgent care, personal injuries, and professional and non-professional athletes. Leading our organization is a dynamic team of healthcare professionals who continually strive to be at the forefront of medical innovation and healthcare service delivery. For more information, a complete list of services, and Healthpointe locations, visit Healthpointe.net.