Running is a great and relatively easy way to stay healthy, but it can definitely take a toll on your joints and muscles. Prior to engaging in any physical activities such as running, it is always important to take the necessary precautions and practice safe warming up activities. However, at times, running injuries can still occur.
Why do running injuries occur?
Some reasons for why running injuries occur can include:
- Pushing yourself too hard
- Adding extra distance or speed to your running routine
- Running up hills
- The way your body is designed can be a contributing factor
What are some common running injuries?
Some common running injuries can include:
- Runner’s knee: A common overuse injury due to the kneecap being out of alignment.
- Stress fracture: A small crack in the bone that causes pain and discomfort, which typically affects the shin and feet.
- Shin split: A pain that occurs in the front or inside of the lower leg along the shin bone.
- Achilles tendinitis: Inflammation of the Achilles tendon
- Muscle pull: A small tear in your muscle, which is usually caused by overstretching of a muscle.
- Ankle sprain: The stretching or tearing of ligaments surrounding the ankle.
- Blisters: Fluid-filled sacks on the surface of the skin due to the friction between your skin and shoes/socks.
How can I prevent running injuries?
You can prevent some of the common running injuries by taking some necessary precautions such as:
- Warm-up and stretch your muscles thoroughly before and after you run.
- Mix up your fitness routine so that you are not just running.
- Consider adding weight training or abdominal exercises, which can strengthen your muscles and develop core strength.
- Wear proper-fitting socks and shoes with good support as well as wear lightweight and breathable clothing.
- Listen to your body and be aware of any symptoms of pain in order to avoid pushing yourself too hard.
- Make sure you are drinking enough water on the days that you are running.
Running injuries can commonly occur with just about anyone, and most running injuries can be easily treated. However, if your pain and discomfort continues, it is important to seek medical attention in order to avoid any further strain to your joints and muscles. Call 888-719-8448 or come into your nearest Healthpointe urgent care location today to receive timely medical attention for your running injuries today!
Healthpointe is a leading multidisciplinary healthcare organization offering a full range of medical services in practice locations throughout Southern California (Los Angeles county, Orange county, San Bernardino county and Riverside county). Healthpointe has locations situated in over 10 cities in Southern California including La Mirada, which is conveniently located near Whittier, La Habra, Norwalk, Cerritos, Buena Park and Santa Fe Springs. As a highly regarded musculoskeletal group, we have a personal investment in the highest level of service, and we are proud of our record of excellence over the last four decades with private patients, injured workers, urgent care, personal injuries, and professional and non-professional athletes. Leading our organization is a dynamic team of healthcare professionals who continually strive to be at the forefront of medical innovation and healthcare service delivery. For more information, a complete list of services, and Healthpointe locations, visit healthpointe.net