If you suspect that you’ve sustained a concussion, seek immediate medical attention. Follow your doctor’s treatment plan, and stay aware of common risk factors that can result in a repeat injury.
The following is a list of common factors that can lead to a concussion:
- Participation in a high-risk sport like football, boxing, soccer, hockey, and rugby, among other contact sports (especially where appropriate safety equipment and supervision are either insufficient or absent)
- Involvement in a motor vehicle collision, a bicycle accident, and/or even a pedestrian accident
- Involvement in combat situations
- Blunt force trauma
- Falls, especially in younger children and older adults
Failing to seek prompt medical attention can result in one or more of the following:
- Epilepsy. Your risk for epilepsy doubles within the first five years after a concussion.
- Lasting, progressive, impairment of mental functions. Based on studies, your ability to function can be impaired by multiple brain injuries. This emphasizes the importance of adopting the best possible safety measures to lessen your risks for concussions when you play contact sports.
- Post-Concussion Syndrome. You may experience headaches, dizziness and cognitive challenges a few days after your concussion, which can continue for a few weeks to a few months.
- Post-traumatic headaches and/or vertigo. You may experience these symptoms within a few weeks to a few months after your brain injury.
Visit any of our clinics, such as the La Mirada clinic by Whittier, La Habra, Norwalk, Cerritos, Buena Park, and Santa Fe Springs, for more information about effective concussion management.
Healthpointe is a leading multidisciplinary healthcare organization offering a full range of medical services in practice locations throughout Southern California (Los Angeles County, Orange County, San Bernardino County, and Riverside County). Healthpointe has locations situated in over 10 cities in Southern California including La Mirada by Whittier, La Habra, Norwalk, Cerritos, Buena Park, and Santa Fe Springs. As a highly regarded musculoskeletal group, we have a personal investment in the highest level of service, and we are proud of our record of excellence over the last four decades with private patients, injured workers, urgent care, personal injuries, and professional and non-professional athletes. Leading our organization is a dynamic team of healthcare professionals who continually strive to be at the forefront of medical innovation and healthcare service delivery. For more information, a complete list of services, and Healthpointe locations, visit Healthpointe.net.