Asthma and the Flu
Having asthma does not increase your chances of getting the flu. However, if you have asthma, you should do all that you can to stay healthy because having asthma does increase your risk of flu-related complications. Any respiratory condition such as the flu can affect your lungs, which can cause inflammation and airway narrowing. Thus, people with asthma are at higher risk of respiratory problems associated with the flu.
What Are the Symptoms?
Seek immediate medical attention if you are experiencing an asthma attack and flu symptoms, which may include:
- Coughing up increased amounts of mucus
- Yellow or green mucus
- Fatigue or weakness
- Fever or chills
- Increased shortness of breath, difficulty breathing, or wheezing
- Sore throat, scratchy throat, or pain when swallowing
- Nasal congestion
- Tenderness along your upper cheekbones
- Sinus drainage
How Can I Prevent Worsening of Symptoms this Flu Season?
There are several steps you can take to prevent infections such as the flu from triggering your symptoms:
- Practice good hygiene such as washing your hands frequently throughout the day to get rid of germs.
- Do not share your asthma medication or equipment (inhaler or nebulizer) with others.
- Be mindful of the symptoms of a sinus infection and seek immediate medical attention to help prevent asthma attacks.
- Get a flu vaccine early in the season (in October or November) because the vaccine is the best way to prevent the flu and any respiratory problems which may worsen your asthma symptoms.
Asthma is the most common health condition among children and adults hospitalized or sent to urgent cares with the flu. If you are starting to have flu-like symptoms, it is imperative that you seek immediate medical attention in order to prevent any complications and worsening of your asthma symptoms. Come into your nearest Healthpointe urgent care location today to seek immediate medical attention for your flu and asthma symptoms!
For more information about flu treatments, call 888-719-8448 or visit ant of our clinic such as,
Long Beach by Signal Hill, Carson, Seal Beach, Lakewood, Bellflower, Compton, Hawaiian Gardens, and Los Alamitos.
Healthpointe is a leading multidisciplinary healthcare organization offering a full range of medical services in practice locations throughout Southern California (Los Angeles county, Orange county, San Bernardino county and Riverside county). Healthpointe has locations situated in over 10 cities in Southern California including Garden Grove by Stanton, Santa Ana, and Westminster. As a highly regarded musculoskeletal group, we have a personal investment in the highest level of service, and we are proud of our record of excellence over the last four decades with private patients, injured workers, urgent care, personal injuries, and professional and non-professional athletes. Leading our organization is a dynamic team of healthcare professionals who continually strive to be at the forefront of medical innovation and healthcare service delivery. For more information, a complete list of services, and Healthpointe locations, visit healthpointe.net.