Constipation affects approximately 2 percent of the U.S. population with women and the elderly being more commonly affected. While constipation is rarely serious, it can still be a cause for concern.
What is constipation?
Constipation occurs when your bowel movements become less frequent or more difficult. The length of time between bowel movements care vary from person to person. While it may be normal for some people to have bowel movements several times per day, it may be normal for others to have a bowel movement once or twice a week. However, going longer than three days without a bowel movement is too long.
What are some of the causes of constipation?
Common causes of constipation can include:
- Inadequate water and/or fiber intake
- Disruption of your regular diet or routine (such as when you are traveling)
- Inadequate activity or exercise
- Eating disorders
- Irritable bowel syndrome
- Eating large amounts of dairy products
What are the signs and symptoms of being constipated?
Being constipated can be marked by having two or more of the following symptoms for at least 3 months:
- Hard stools more than 25 percent of the time
- Straining during bowel movement more than 25 percent of the time
- Incomplete evacuation more than 25 percent of the time
- Two or fewer bowel movements in a week
When should I seek medical attention for constipation?
Seek prompt medical attention if:
- You have blood in your stool
- You are losing weight even though you are not dieting
- You have severe pain with bowel movements
- Your constipation is a new problem for you
- Your constipation has lasted more than two weeks
Don’t delay get seek medical attention. Start by making an appointment call 888-719-8448 or walk in to any of our clinics such as our Corona office near Norco, Home Gardens, Mira Loma, and Pedley.
Healthpointe is a leading multidisciplinary healthcare organization offering a full range of medical services in practice locations throughout Southern California (Los Angeles county, Orange county, San Bernardino county and Riverside county). Healthpointe has locations situated in over 10 cities in Southern California including Irwindale, which is conveniently located near Duarte, Azusa, West Covina, Vincent, and Mayflower village. As a highly regarded musculoskeletal group, we have a personal investment in the highest level of service, and we are proud of our record of excellence over the last four decades with private patients, injured workers, urgent care, personal injuries, and professional and non-professional athletes. Leading our organization is a dynamic team of healthcare professionals who continually strive to be at the forefront of medical innovation and healthcare service delivery. For more information, a complete list of services, and Healthpointe locations, visit https://www.healthpointe.net/.