What are hernias?
Hernias are protrusion of an organ or tissue. Usually the hernia is produced by a slip of the intestine into the abdominal wall. Thus, the hernia is created and causes a bulge that may be seen or felt.
What are the types of hernias?
- Inguinal of the abdominal wall.
- Incisional of previous surgical sites.
- Femoral of the femur or upper thigh.
- Umbilical of the abdomen (bellybutton).
- Hiatal of the abdomen (and sometimes in the chest).
How can the hernia be repaired?
- Hernioplasty or Herniorrhaphy is one of the most commonly performed surgical procedures. Smaller hernias are repaired by sewing the edges of the healthy muscles together in the weak spot of the muscle, where the hernia bulges. Larger hernias are repaired with mesh patches, where the patch is sewed over the weakened area the abdomen, once the hernia has been pushed back in to place. This reduces the tension on the weakened abdomen wall and the risk that a hernia will recur.
- Laparoscopy is the surgical procedure in which a small incision is made near the navel. The abdomen is inflated with air. Allowing the surgeon to see the abdomen. Then, a thin lighted scope is inserted through the incision. The instruments that will repair the hernia are inserted through the incision, and mesh is then placed over the defect to reinforce the abdomen wall.
Hernias can be painful, but there is no need to suffer with the discomfort. There are options when trying to repair the hernia. Healthpointe’s expert doctors are fully trained in the reparation of hernias. Make you consultation today!
For more information, call 888-719-8448.
Healthpointe is a leading multidisciplinary healthcare organization offering a full range of medical services in practice locations throughout Southern California (Los Angeles County, Orange County, San Bernardino County, and Riverside County). Healthpointe has locations situated in over 10 cities in Southern California including La Mirada by Whittier, La Habra, Norwalk, Cerritos, Buena Park, and Santa Fe Springs. As a highly regarded musculoskeletal group, we have a personal investment in the highest level of service, and we are proud of our record of excellence over the last four decades with private patients, injured workers, urgent care, personal injuries, and professional and non-professional athletes. Leading our organization is a dynamic team of healthcare professionals who continually strive to be at the forefront of medical innovation and healthcare service delivery. For more information, a complete list of services, and Healthpointe locations, visit Healthpointe.net.