Summer has arrived, and so has the time for Travel Physicals. For some, summer also means traveling. Traveling with diabetes requires some advance planning depending on where you are going and what you are doing. Here are some good travel tips for individuals living with diabetes.
See your doctor before leaving
- By seeing your doctor, you can help to ensure that you have good blood sugar control. If your blood sugars are not well controlled, consider allowing enough time before your trip to improve control before you leave.
- Get a letter and a prescription from your doctor listing your medications for diabetes pills and insulin shots. The prescription will help you to prepare in the event that you run out or lose your insulin or medications while away.
Prepare for an emergency abroad
• Know how to find a doctor wherever you will be traveling to.
• Wear a medical I.D. bracelet or necklace.
• Pack extra medication and insulin so that you aim for at least twice as much as you think you will need. Also, keep your medication and insulin with you in a carry-on bag as checked luggage can be lost.
• Keep snacks available such as crackers, cheese, fruit, and some form of sugar such as hard candy, in order to treat low blood glucose.
• Protect supplies from heat. Insulin should not be stored in very hot or very cold temperatures.
Understand potential insulin issues
• Try to use the same insulin by using the exact brand and formulation of insulin as prescribed by your provider.
• Be aware of the differences in dosage of insulin if you are traveling abroad.
• Adjust for time zone changes by talking to your doctor to help you plan the timing of your injections.
Take care of yourself once you arrive at your destination
• Monitor your blood glucose more often.
• Carry hypoglycemia treatment.
• Be careful about what you eat.
• Protect your feet and check your feet daily for blisters, cuts, redness, swelling, and scratches.
For additional information on Healthpointe Travel Physicals please call 888-719-8448 or visit any of our clinics today, such as the Los Angeles clinic by Burbank, Glendale, Pasadena, Beverly Hills, Santa Monica, Inglewood, Hawthorne, Huntington Park, South Gate, Lynwood, Montebello, Monterey Park, and Alhambra.
Healthpointe is a leading multidisciplinary healthcare organization offering a full range of medical services in practice locations throughout Southern California (Los Angeles County, Orange County, San Bernardino County, and Riverside County). Healthpointe has locations situated in over 10 cities in Southern California including Colton by Rialto, Bloomington, San Bernardino, Loma Linda, Highgrove, and Grand Terrace. As a highly regarded musculoskeletal group, we have a personal investment in the highest level of service, and we are proud of our record of excellence over the last four decades with private patients, injured workers, urgent care, personal injuries, and professional and non-professional athletes. Leading our organization is a dynamic team of healthcare professionals who continually strive to be at the forefront of medical innovation and healthcare service delivery. For more information, a complete list of services, and Healthpointe locations, visit Healthpointe.net.