Do you have headaches? Do you take medications to relieve the pain? Do your symptoms feel worse after taking pain relievers?
If you answered yes, you may be suffering from medication overuse headaches. Studies have shown that many patients have headaches that may be caused by the medications. According to the American Headache Society, the following people are more likely to experience medication overuse headaches:
- Those who take analgesics 2-3 times per week
- Those who take triptans for their migraines
In a large-scale study led by Dr. Richard D. Lipton of the Montefiore Headache Center at Albert Einstein College of Medicine, the team discovered that approximately 2% of people who take migraine medications three times a month have high risks for dependency. These people also get more frequent migraine attacks, which necessitates trying other approaches for pain relief or switching medications.
Studies also suggest that over 4 million Americans may have medication overuse headaches. Many of them will also suffer from rebound headaches, which occur after the medication’s effects have worn off.
Fortunately, there are many ways that pain relief can be achieved without medications. Consult your doctor at any Healthpointe clinic, such as the one in Garden Grove (located near Stanton, Santa Ana, and Westminster) to find non-medicated pain relief.
- Follow the methods in behavioral treatment, such as learning to manage and avoid your triggers (e.g., sleep deprivation and stress).
- Stick to a consistent schedule. This means getting up at the same time on weekdays and weekends, since sleep deprivation and oversleeping are both known headache triggers.
- For women, consult your doctor to maintain normal menstrual periods.
- Eat your meals on a regular basis (at the same time everyday). Skipping and delaying meals can trigger headaches.
- Avoid food and beverages that trigger headaches. Keep a journal so that you can track which food leads to headaches.
- Manage your stress through relaxation methods.
When your pain just cannot be controlled anymore, avoid popping pills. Ask your doctor about the best medications first.
Come to the Healthpointe clinic at any of our locations, such as Long Beach, located near the Signal Hill, Carson, Seal Beach, Lakewood, Bellflower, Compton, Hawaiian Gardens, and Los Alamitos areas.
Healthpointe is a leading multidisciplinary healthcare organization offering a full range of medical services in practice locations throughout Southern California (Los Angeles County, Orange County, San Bernardino County, and Riverside County). Healthpointe has locations situated in over 10 cities in Southern California including La Mirada, which is conveniently located by Whittier, La Habra, Norwalk, Cerritos, Buena Park, and Santa Fe Springs. As a highly regarded musculoskeletal group, we have a personal investment in the highest level of service, and we are proud of our record of excellence over the last four decades with private patients, injured workers, urgent care, personal injuries, and professional and non-professional athletes. Leading our organization is a dynamic team of healthcare professionals who continually strive to be at the forefront of medical innovation and healthcare service delivery. For more information, a complete list of services, and Healthpointe locations, visit Healthpointe.net.